Friday, November 13, 2009

MJ's Top 50 Games of All Time (50 - 41)

Gaming has always been a passion of mine, and i'm very lucky in that I have had the opportunity to play thousands of games in my life.

What follows below is what I consider to be the fifty Best games that Ive played. I have broken it down into batches of ten and I will add a new batch daily. I feel that at the offset I must mention that many big name franchises are not on my list - most notably - Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo. Please bear in mind that this is a personal list. Also, I am primarily a console gamer so WoW etc will not be on the list. I have only included games that I have played so the two big Holiday releases - Uncharted 2 and Assassins Creed 2 will not feature in this list. Perhaps they will be in future lists. Without further ado - Lets start the countdown

50. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (arcade)

There have been many TMNT games over the years, the latest one coinciding with last years movie, but none could capture the franticness and multiplayer goodness (up to four people could play on four different arcade cabinets) that the original offered. At a time when it was cool to say Cowabunga, you couldnt find a more authentic TMNT experience than this

49. Druglord (PDA and PC)

Perhaps the most bare bones of all the games on this list, drug Lord has you training to be an aspiring Drug trafficker. Imagine GTA meets Wall Street and you have a rough idea of what to expect. Drug Lord probably gave me my first taste of economics (who says games arent educational) its also freeware so I recommend you download it and give it a try today

48. Mortal Kombat Trilogy (Nintendo 64)

Ive always been a huge Mortal Kombat fan, owning every title in the franchise (except MK Mythologies Sub Zero because its crap) However, you might be wondering why Ive chosen this version over say, the latest one , MK vs DC, well, its because I think Mortal Kombat works better as a 2D game (2.5 D rather as UMK3 has polygonal characters against a 2D backdrop) Besides, who can forget Sub Zero unmasked or being pummelled to the ground courtesy of Shao Kahns Hammer.

47. Contra (NES)

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A. The famous Konami Code which was for many of us, the first cheat that we ever used in gaming. But with a game like Contra, it can be overlooked. Contra offered two player simultaneous gaming at a time when it was not common. Also, the lack of skill on behalf of player two (mostly stalling meant certain death for player one) Yes, Contra is responsible for many strained friendships back in the late eighties

46. Resident Evil 4 (gamecube)

I never really got into the Resident evil franchise (I love the movies though) but the biggest problem that I had with the games was the clunky controls. For me, controls make or break a game. All this changed with Resident Evil 4, a game that many critics lauded as game of the Year 3 years ago. Personally I prefer the Gamecube version to the ps2 (even though the ps2 has bonus content) The wii version is said to be the ultimate one, so if you have a wii and find that most games are developed for five year olds, I recommend Resident Evil 4. I loved Resident Evil 5, and it is one of the best ive played this year, but 4 will always be better I guess.


45. Soul Calibur 4 (xbox 360)

I prefer Soul Calibur to Tekken. Last years version was amazing. I dont usually invest too much time in Beat em Ups. But I have clocked well over 60 hours going through Soul Caliburs modes. I even created a Ghandi character complete with Staff/walking stick.

44. Gears of War 2 (xbox 360)

The reason I chose this over the original Gears of War (which I think is the first real taste that gamers had of Next Gen) is that this was more fun. Fleshed out, with good pacing (I wont let the horrible anti climax affect my opinion) And Horde mode which is just unbelievable when you have a mate over.

43. Quake (pc)

It might have been Castle Wolfenstein that pioneered it and Doom that popularised it, but it was Quake that perfected it. 'It' here refers to the genre we now call, the first person Shooter. I have a love hate relationship with Quake. I loved the first one, hated the second. Enjoyed Quake 3 but I dislike Quake 4 on the Xbox 360.

42. Bejewled 2 (PC)

Addictive, easy to pick up and most importantly, fun. Popcap Games hit tile is nothing less than this generations answer to tetris.

41. Snow Bros (Arcade)

Two Snowmen who roll their enemies into snowballs and smash them against walls. Easy enough premise one would think, but add in a dash of franticness in the form of a pumpkin headed villain who haunts you if you take too long and you have a hit on your hands. The game also gave us a boss after every ten stages, which really mixed it up. Two player co op games feature highly on my list as Artificial Intelligence can never replace a human partner.

Check Back tomorrow for the next Ten. leave a comment if you have any fond memories of any of these games.

MJ

No comments: