Sunday, November 15, 2009

MJ's Top 50 Games of All Time (30 - 21)

30. Unreal Tournament 3 (xbox 360)

It could be that the characters look like they were ripped straight out of Gears of war (same developer) or it could be that the stinger mini gun is one of the coolest weapons ever, but what sealed the deal for me was the system link co op campaign. Capture the Flag has never been this much fun.

29. WWF No Mercy (Nintendo 64)

I enjoy my wrestling games alot, having owned more than fifteen wrestling titles and while I spend hours every weekend playing Smackdown vs raw 2009 with my mates, my favourite Wrestling game will always be WWF No Mercy on the Nintendo 64. The follow up to their critically acclaimed Wrestlemania 2000, if you havent heard of WWF No mercy - google it. Smackdown is good, but No Mercy was pure fun.

28. Prince of Persia 3. The Two Thrones (XboX)

The Prince of Persia series has always been one of the better franchises in the video game world, from the groundbreaking original of yester year, to the time manipulating beauty of the recent trilogy. My favourite however, has to be Prince of Persia 3. The first one was really good, but had a flawed combat system. I did not like the second one, Warrior Within at all because of the dark and mature theme that it had. I was disappointed with the direction that the game had taken, even though the combat elements were tightened. Luckily, for the third game, Ubisoft went back to its roots and produced a legendary title worthy of a top fifty accolade. I have played all three versions (Ps2, xbox and Wii) and I enjoyed it the best on the Xbox (better graphics and the controls seemed better suited to the controller) so that version gets the nod.

27. Conkers bad Fur day (Nintendo 64)

I remember seeing the first images of Conker and thinking 'Oh great - another kiddies platformer on a system that was already straining under the weight of too many platformers (kinda like the FPS and the Xbox 360). I heard nothing about the game for two years and then, BAM, Rare hits us with one of the crudest yet funniest games ever. A swearing drunk squirrel. Cant get much funnier than that.

26.Fable 2 (Xbox 360)

I love games that deal with morality (one of the reasons that Bioshock is so high on my list. When I started Fable 2 I intended to be good, but it wasnt long before I started implementing shariah law in Bowerstone and killing all the hookers and drunks. I loved the idea of consequence affecting gameplay.

25. Sonic 2 (Sega Mega Drive)

I had the tv on in the background the other day( something i usually do when I’m on the pc) and I heard a familiar tune, and without even looking at the screen I knew that it was Sonic the Hedgehog) Sonic 2 remains my favourite in the series. And I doubt Sega would have been a serious contender in the market if it hadn’t been for this blue haired wonder.

24. Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers (NES)

Cartoons and their game counterparts always seem to come in the form of Platform games, be it Aladdin, or Ducktales, Tailspin or Darkwing Duck. It seems that platformers were the obvious choice for any game developer. As you probably might have noted - co op games feature prominently on my list, and Rescue Rangers is no exception. One of the best platformers I played.

23. Lion King ( Sega Mega Drive)

Continuing with Disney Intellectual Properties that have been converted to videogames, One of my favourite movies of all time - Lion King, is easily one of my favourite games as well. From the upbeat theme music, to the darker, more mature end level, The Lion King videogame captured the movie perfectly.

22. Goldeneye (Nintendo 64)

Critically acclaimed, twelve years later and Goldeneye is still considered to be the quintessential console first person shooter as well as the best game adaptation. No other James Bond game managed to capture the feel of Goldeneye (the closest is Everything or Nothing for the PS2)

21. International Superstar Soccer 64 (Nintendo 64)

Before Pro Evo, and Winning Eleven - Konami developed ISS, and since then I have been hooked on the series. While some might argue that Pro Evo 2008 on the PS2 is the best version yet, my favourite still remains the one released a decade ago.

No comments: